Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Oh, for the love of Cereal

There is probably nothing better than a good bowl of cereal to get you out of bed in the morning. During school, for my 9:30 classes, it was the only thing that pulled me out of bed (wait, there's an 8 o'clock class? Please.).

During the colder months I would microwave warm cereal (better known as oatmeal). I found a gluten free brand at Whole Foods (best place on earth), which I loved because it was much thicker than normal oatmeal.

I didn't add anything to it because it already had raisins in it, but Morgan (morganicnyc.blogspot.com) put additional bananas, cranberries and nuts in hers (yum!). I also added cold milk and sugar.

During the warm months, I just stick to some Special K. Throw some sliced bananas on the top and skim milk and you're set! You can add whatever fruit makes you happy, get creative (strawberries, blueberries, etc)! The crunchiness of the cereal and the soft texture of the bananas make a wonderful combination, but other fruit is scrumptious as well.

To make it even a bit sweeter, pour skim milk 3/4 of the way in and then fill the rest with whole milk. The small amount of whole milk will make it creamier and sweeter without having all those extra cals and fat.

Happy Rise n' Shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment